WHO Says MV Hondius Hantavirus Cluster Has Reached 12 Cases and 3 Deaths
Hantavirus cases linked to the MV Hondius cruise ship have risen to 12 after a crew member tested positive, according to a report quoting WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
Tedros said the crew member had disembarked in Tenerife, returned to the Netherlands and had been isolating since arriving home. He said the outbreak remains at three reported deaths, with no new deaths reported since May 2.
The update keeps the deadly cruise-ship outbreak in an active monitoring phase. More than 600 contacts in 30 countries are still being tracked, and officials are trying to locate a small number of high-risk contacts.
Subscribe free for daily political analysis they won’t broadcast. Join 110K+ readers →
The MV Hondius, operated by Oceanwide Expeditions, previously docked in Rotterdam for quarantine and disinfection after passengers were disembarked in Tenerife.
Health officials continue to say the wider public risk is low. The strain linked to the outbreak is Andes virus, a hantavirus that can spread through prolonged close contact, though such transmission is rare.
Subscribe free for daily political analysis they won’t broadcast. Join 110K+ readers →



